Facebook, with its vast user base, presents multiple opportunities for entrepreneurs and creatives to earn money.
Most of the methods you will find online require some kind of investment in order to run Facebook ads, set up a website, create a course to sell, or use email automation tools.
However, it is still possible to do it without paying any money in advance, and in several ways, which I will show you here.
But because each method comes with its own limitations and disadvantages, I will also tell you about the alternative method I personally use instead of fully relying on Facebook that doesn’t require a big investment, and you can even learn its basics for free.
Without further ado, here are seven legitimate ways to make money on Facebook without an investment:
1. Grow a Facebook Group and Sell Consultations
Create a niche-specific group and provide value to members.
You can use relevant keywords in the group’s name in order to get it discovered by more people, and you can help others on similar groups or pages in the same niche, and try to advertise your group from time to time without spamming them.
Provide value on consistent basis to your group’s subscribers in order to gain trust and show authority and expertise, and then offer one-on-one consultations or coaching in order to earn with your Facebook group without an investment.
You can use free tools such as Zoom and Skype in order to make video calls, and get paid through PayPal.
- Choose a niche.
- Create a Facebook group.
- Provide value continuously through posts and interactions.
- Pitch your consultation services for one-on-one coaching, personalized plans, done-for-you or done-with-you services, …etc.
Time Estimate: 3-6 months to gain a sizable group.
- Direct interaction with potential clients.
- Build a personal brand.
- Flexibility in choosing consultation rates.
- Time-consuming to manage a group.
- Requires consistent value addition.
- Potential clients might expect free advice.
2. Set up and Manage Facebook Pages for Local Businesses
Many local businesses lack a strong social media presence.
You can find these businesses through searching for their pages on Facebook, or looking up businesses around you through Google search, and see which ones don’t have Facebook pages, or have pages without much content and followership.
Pitch to them your services as packages and explain how you can help them attract more targeted prospects and clients through organic and paid advertising on Facebook.
This is a great way to earn consistent income with Facebook without an investment as these services are usually sold through long-term contracts.
- Research local businesses.
- Pitch your services.
- Set up/manage their pages.
Time Estimate: 1-3 months for first client acquisition.
- Steady income potential.
- Gain experience in social media management.
- Opportunity for upselling other services.
- Client handling can be challenging.
- Business performance might be associated with your management.
- Requires staying updated with platform changes.
3. Sell Freelancing Services Online
Alternative to the previous method, you can work with clients from all over the world in order to earn money from Facebook without an investment by selling Facebook-related services on freelance marketplaces such as Upwork and PeoplePerHour.
Services include ad management, post creation, video editing, chatbot setup, or group management just to name a few.
- Create a profile on online freelancing marketplaces.
- List services related to Facebook.
- Promote and get clients.
Time Estimate: 1-2 months to gain initial traction.
- Multiple service offering potential.
- Global client base.
- Flexibility in pricing.
- Competition with other freelancers.
- Fiverr takes a percentage cut.
- Unpredictable work frequency.
4. Influencer Marketing
With a considerable follower count, you can collaborate with brands to promote their products or services to your audience on your Facebook page or group without having to pay anything.
This mainly depends on the fact that you have a sizable engaged niche audience, where you can be found by brands who want to advertise to them.
To have more eyeballs on your Facebook presence, you can use online influencer platforms where you can list your rates and get found by brands using these platforms.
- Grow your Facebook page, profile or group.
- Engage followers.
- Pitch to brands or wait for collaboration offers.
Time Estimate: 6-12 months for considerable follower count.
- High earning potential.
- Flexibility in choosing collaborations.
- Potential for brand freebies.
- Need a sizable follower count.
- Inconsistent collaboration opportunities.
- Dependence on follower engagement.
5. Affiliate Marketing
This method works by promoting useful products to your Facebook audience through unique links, and getting commissions on every sale that comes through your affiliate links.
You can join affiliate networks such as ClickBank and ShareASale or the affiliate programs of online marketplaces such as Amazon and Etsy for free and find products that are relevant to your audience, and get your unique link for these products.
However, note that Facebook doesn’t allow posting affiliate links directly in their posts or comments, and that’s why you need to use a landing page where you place the affiliate link and then lead your Facebook audience to that page.
You can use free landing page builders or website builders in order to create these landing pages and start earning money on Facebook for free without investing anything in advance.
- Sign up for affiliate programs and get links for the products you want to promote.
- Create landing pages for your affiliate links.
- Share information about the products to your audience and share you the links to your landing pages.
- Earn commissions on sales.
Time Estimate: 1-3 months for initial earnings.
- Passive income potential.
- Diverse range of products to promote.
- No need to handle products or shipping.
- Requires a trusting follower base.
- Dependence on affiliate program policies.
- Unpredictable sales.
6. Sell Merch with POD Marketplaces
You can create designs that associate with your Facebook audience and upload them to any merchandise and sell them through platforms like TeePublic and Zazzle.
You can use free versions of graphic design tools in order to create appealing designs, and for the POD marketplaces, you don’t need to pay anything.
You just upload the design, set your prices that include the cost of the product and your profit, and market your merch to your Facebook following.
When you get a sale, the POD platform will collect the money, create the product, ship it directly to the buyer, and send you your profits, which enables you to monetize your Facebook following without an investment.
- Design merch that resonates with your Facebook audience.
- List it on POD platforms on the items you want to sell.
- Promote it for free on Facebook.
Time Estimate: 2-4 months for regular sales.
- Creative freedom.
- No inventory or shipping hassles.
- Platforms handle customer service.
- Competition with other designers.
- Platform commission cuts.
- Sales dependent on design quality.
7. Publish an Ebook on KDP and Sell it to your FB followers
Write a short ebook or guide on how to achieve a certain outcome related to your niche.
You can self-publish it for free on Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP), and promote it to your Facebook audience.
When you get sales and positive reviews, Amazon will start to promote it to their other shoppers who already bought books in the same genre, which helps you generate more income through free promotions on Facebook.
- Write an eBook about achieving a specific result in your niche.
- Publish on KDP.
- Promote on Facebook.
Cost: $0 (unless hiring an editor or designer)
Time Estimate: 3-6 months (writing to promotion).
- Passive income.
- Total control over content.
- Global audience reach.
- Writing can be time-consuming.
- Need a marketing strategy.
- Revenue split with Amazon.
Risks of Relying on Facebook Free Marketing for Income
Building income exclusively on Facebook without an investment is risky because:
- Platform Dependency: Changes in algorithms can affect visibility.
- Uncertain Monetization Policies: Facebook can alter its revenue-sharing policies.
- Lack of Ownership: Your page or group can be suspended or deleted.
You can still use these methods I mentioned above, but I recommend that you use them as helpful methods in addition to the more secure and sustainable alternative I will tell you about.
My Recommended Alternative
Blogging combined with affiliate marketing is a secure and scalable way to generate income compared to earning from Facebook without an investment.
Everything comes with a price. And the price of free Facebook marketing is the risk that you might lose everything overnight.
I prefer to pay a small investment in order to start something sustainable through building a blog that I own, rather than risking it all just because I want to do everything for free.
And you don’t even need a big investment in order to start with blogging. It’s a low-cost, low-stress, and scalable method to earn compared to the free ways of making money with Facebook.
Here Are The Steps:
- Choose a niche that you would like to work on, and create a website with a custom domain name.
- Create helpful content that answers your audience’s questions on Google.
- Promote affiliate products when relevant inside your content.
- Earn commissions.
No one can take your website from you, and you can scale it as much as you want.
You can still use Facebook to earn money without paying anything on Facebook, but you use it combined with your blog in order to grow your business faster and in a more secure way.
If you are interested in learning more about this method, Wealthy Affiliate offers comprehensive training, web hosting, research tools, content editing tools, and a supportive community to jumpstart your affiliate blogging journey.
It’s a holistic platform for long-term success in the online world.
While Facebook offers numerous avenues to earn money without any significant investment, it’s crucial not to put all your eggs in one basket for the reasons I explained above.
Diversifying income streams and considering alternatives like blogging can provide a more stable and long-term revenue source.
Remember, sustainable success online often comes from diversifying and leveraging multiple platforms.
If you still have questions or have other ideas to earn money on Facebook without an investment, let me know in the comments’ section below.